Slide 1 Slide 2 Slide 3 Slide 4


  • Q. What is an MC Number?
    A. An MC number is issued by the FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration). It grants the right to commence operations in interstate commerce in the transportation industry. There are seve ral factors involved in obtaining an MC number including a USDOT number, BOC 3 Process Agents, and insurance.
  • Q. What is a USDOT Number?
    A. A USDOT number is issued by the US Department of Transportation. It tracks all your company's information with the different Federal and State Agencies. A USDOT number does not constitute authority to operate in interstate commerce.
  • Q. How long does it take to get trucking authority?
    A. It takes a carrier 2 weeks to obtain the Canadian authorities and 4 to 5 weeks to obtain the US authorities.
  • Q. How much does it cost to get trucking authority?
    A. We offer several packages to help you obtain your authority depending on if you want to operate in BC, Canada or US.
  • Q. What is IFTA?
    A. IFTA stands for International Fuel Tax Agreement. It is a means to pay fuel taxes to the different participating states and provinces by registering and filing quarterly returns with your base state. Only the contiguous 48 states, plus Canadian Provinces and vehicles over 26,000 Gross Vehicle Weight participate in this program. Registration for the program is generally free but some states may charge a registration and decal fee that usually costs under $30. IFTA Fuel Tax Reporting  Your home state will issue IFTA fuel tax credentials to you.  In the month following each Quarter, you will need to submit a Quarterly IFTA fuel tax report with the mileages driven in each state and fuel purchased in each state during the Quarter to the IFTA fuel tax department of your home state.   For the first Quarter of January, February and March, the report needs to be completed and submitted to the IFTA fuel tax department in April.  The second Quarter report needs to be submitted to the IFTA fuel tax department in July, the third Quarter IFTA fuel tax report in October and the fourth Quarter IFTA fuel tax report in January of the following year. IFTA Fuel Tax Record Keeping Requirements  You will be required by the state for the IFTA fuel tax to keep accurate records of all trip mileages and fuel purchases you make - loaded, empty or bob-tailing.  In the event of an IFTA fuel tax state audit, you can use your log book to keep records of all trips and mileages as long as the State Auditor can obtain accurate mileages from your log book, including mileage readings every time you cross state lines.  Or you can use trip sheets to record the mileages and gallons of fuel purchased.  Typically, an Auditor will need to know what routes you will have taken and the mileage readings from your odometer every time you cross state lines.  All trucks with IFTA stickers are subject to an IFTA fuel tax audit.  These can be random audits, or triggered by inaccurate reporting, such as rounding off mileages (300, 500, 650, 900 etc) at the time you complete and submit your IFTA fuel tax reports.  We do Quarterly IFTA fuel tax reporting for all states and Weight - Distance tax reporting for the Weight - Distance tax states.  Contact us if you would like us to do the IFTA fuel tax reporting for you.
  • Q. What is Intrastate Authority?
    A. Intrastate authority is the right granted by a state to commence for hire trucking operations within the borders of that specific state. If a load's origin and destination are within the same state then intrastate authority may be required. This generally takes less time to acquire than the interstate authority as only one government agency is required to issue permits. Also a company engaged only in intrastate activities does not need to register with the IFTA or IRP.
  • Q. What states require special permits?
    A. Four states have special permits that are required to operate within their borders. You can register for these permits upfront or acquire trip permits. The states are New York (HUT), Kentucky (KYU Number), New Mexico, & Oregon (File Number). Depending on your operations you should consider registering for some or all of these states as most have a low registration fee of $15 or less per truck.
  • Q. what is an Oregon state permit ?
    A. Since Oregon does not have a fuel tax, truckers entering or crossing the state are required to pay an Oregon Weight-Distance Tax.   This can be done either at the Port of Entry or by registering with the state before entering. If you choose to pay at the Port of Entry every time you enter Oregon, you will not have to file the monthly reports with the state. If you choose to register with Oregon before entering the state, you will need to submit a Bond with the registration process.  Once you have registered, you will be required to file monthly returns to the state. if you would like us to register you for the oregon Weight distance tax send us your information  for the registration process .
  • Q. What is a Kentuky state Permit ?
    A . Kentucky requires trucks and tractors with trailers plated at 60,000-lbs or heavier to register for a Kentucky KYU number if these vehicles are going into Kentucky. Carriers with FMCSA Authority, Exempt Carriers For Hire, Private Carriers, and farm-plated trucks, at 60,000-lbs or heavier are required to register for a KYU number.  Registration must be done before entering the state. The Kentucky KYU is a weight-distance tax which amounts to 2.85 cents per mile of travel in Kentucky.   Quarterly weight-distance tax filings must be done in the month following each Quarter. If you need a Kentucky KYU number, call us and we can register you with the state.
  • Q. What is a NY HUT Permit ?
    A. Weight-Distance Tax  The New York Highway Use Tax (NY HUT) is a Weight-Distance Tax.  You are required to register with the state of New York for a NYHUT number before you go into the state.  Then, at the end of each Quarter, you are required to submit a Quarterly Weight-Distance tax filing based on the number of miles traveled through the state during the Quarter. Weight Requirements  Any truck, tractor, or other self propelled vehicle with a gross weight over 18,000-lbs., or any combination power vehicle and trailer with a combined gross weight of more than 18,000-lbs. is required to be registered for New York HUT if traveling into New York state
  • Q. What is a New Entrant Safety Audit?
    A. A New Entrant Safety Audit consists of a review of the carrier's safety management system conducted by a State or Federal Auditor within the first 18 months of operation. The areas of review may include: Driver Qualifications, Driver Duty Status, Vehicle Maintenance, Accident Register, and testing requirements for Controlled Substances and Alcohol use
  • Q. When can I expect a New Entrant Safety Audit?
    A. Every new carrier will be audited during the first 18 months of operation (typically within 3-6 months after the carrier is granted their new entrant registration). The safety audits will mainly be conducted on-site at the carrier's principal place of business. However, some safety audits may be conducted at other locations depending on the circumstances.